Authentic Spanish Books Overview
Provide your students with leveled texts originally written in Spanish with the Authentic Spanish Book Series. Each collection of books within the series is built around a central theme and contains texts on valuable topics that reflect a variety of countries and cultures where Spanish is the main language. Books in each collection are written at different levels of difficulty to help facilitate differentiated instruction and encourage a focus on developing reading skills while fostering multicultural understanding. All books are available in printable, projectable, and eBook formats.
Why Use Authentic Spanish Book Series
Each collection of Leveled Books found in the Authentic Spanish Book Series is designed to capture students’ interest while building cultural knowledge and developing reading skills. Multiple levels of texts also make differentiated instruction easier. Each series is accompanied by:
- Lesson Plans
- Sets of Worksheets
- Comprehension Quizzes
- Discussion Cards or Text-Dependent Questions
- And more!
How to Use
The variety of texts and resources available in each Authentic Spanish Book Series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Lesson Plans that accompany the books for building knowledge or use the instructional tips and worksheets for skill-based instruction.
- Use the Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding of the text and inform you of students’ instructional needs.
- Assign books at the most appropriate reading level for students to read independently.
- Improve comprehension and take readers beyond the text by having them answer the Lesson Plan's text-dependent questions, Discussion Questions, and Focus Questions.
- Build students' analytical skills by having them compare the different books within a collection.
- Have students apply their learning through writing or content-area related activities by responding to the Connections found on the back of each book.
- Have students choose a topic related to the collection's theme to write about using the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in a collection.
Other Resources for Authentic Spanish
- Spanish Songs and Rhymes engage students with traditional poems and rhythms, along with colorful illustrations.
- Spanish Benchmark Passages originally written in Spanish provide short, leveled texts for identifying your students' instructional reading level.
- Spanish Alphabet Books introduce students to letters of the alphabet with engaging photographs.
- Most Common Word Flashcards provide practice reading the 270 most commonly used Spanish words, including sight words.
Biografías / BiographiesLearn about well-known and accomplished Latin Americans and Latino/a Americans.
La vida en Latinoamérica y España / Life in Latin America and SpainExplore the Spanish-speaking world through the eyes of fictional children living in these countries.
Leyendas y mitos / Legends and MythsDiscover diverse legends and myths that originated in Spanish-speaking countries.
Los colores / ColorsExperience all the colors of the rainbow—plus black and white—in vibrant scenes throughout Spanish-speaking communities.