Close Reading promotes careful analysis of text while building the 21st century skills of critical thinking, collaboration, and communication. With the Close Read Passages, students read a short, engaging text multiple times. Each read has a defined purpose supported by text-dependent questions that can be answered through discussion. In the Close Reading Packs, students contemplate a Key Question as they read passages on a common topic, and then participate in small-group and whole-class discussions.
Why Close Reading
Close reading requires students to analyze, evaluate, and think critically about a given text. The Close Read Passages help students practice these skills as they read a text multiple times. The Close Read Question Guides include text-dependent questions that help teachers guide students to use annotation and other close reading skills to find the layers of meaning within a text. Some passages are also connected to Leveled Books at a similar reading level, allowing teachers to take close reading further by creating cross-textual connections.
The Close Reading Packs combine close reading skills with collaboration and communication skills to help students answer a text-dependent Key Question, giving teachers with a powerful tool to meet rigorous standards.
How to Use Close Reading Resources
Close Reading Packs
The Teaching Tips that accompany each Close Reading Pack provide suggestions to help teachers act as discussion leaders as well as address important skills such as comprehension, author's craft, and critical thinking.
- Four Student Passages allow for close reading practice on cross-curricular topics in individual and group work settings.
- The Connecting Passage lets students apply their learning.
Student Response Sheet
- This two-page form lets students record evidence needed to answer the text-dependent Key Question.
- This document provides suggestions to help you act as a discussion leader as well as address important skills such as comprehension, author's craft, and critical thinking.
- The tips also set a purpose for note-taking and re-reading skills and strategies that help students answer Key Questions and meet Common Core State Standards.
Close Read Passages
Begin by reading the Close Read Overview provides information on close reading, using the Close Read Question Guide and Close Read Questions, annotating, extension activities, and more.
- The individual Close Read Passages can be printed, projected, or assigned digitally for whole-class, small-group, or individual instruction. The two- to four-page grade-appropriate passages are on fascinating topics that will engage students through each read.
- Passages connected to Multilevel Leveled Books are written at three different levels to help teachers easily differentiate instruction. The three levels are indicated by dots on the passage, with one dot ( ) being the lowest level, two dots ( ) being the middle level, and three dots ( ) being the highest level.
Close Read Questions & Question Guide
- Close Read Questions contain meaningful text-dependent questions for each reading of the text. Project the Close Read Questions for the whole class or print out and cut up individual questions for discussion groups or independent responses.
- The Close Read Question Guide provides a set of optional questions, an answer key, details about the passage text, including the correlated Learning A-Z level, and information about cross-textual connections for those passages connected to Leveled Books.
Science InvestigationsHelp students dig deeper into science content with Investigation Packs from Science A–Z. Students practice close reading and working in groups while answering text-dependent questions.
Close Reading PacksTips