Close Reading Packs Tips
Close Reading promotes careful analysis of text while building the 21st century skills of critical thinking, collaboration, and communication. In Close Reading Packs, students consider a Key Question as they read passages on a common topic, and then participate in small-group and whole-class discussions.
Why Close Reading Packs
Close reading requires students to analyze, evaluate, and think critically about a given text.
Close Reading Packs combine close reading skills with collaboration and communication skills to help students answer a Key Question, giving you a powerful tool to meet rigorous 21st century standards.
How to Use Close Reading Packs
- Passages enable students to practice close reading on cross-curricular topics in individual and group work settings.
- Encourage students to apply their learning with the Connecting Passage.
Student Response Sheet
- Guide students to record evidence needed to answer the Key Question.
- Use the Teaching Tips to help lead discussion and address important skills such as comprehension, authorís craft, and critical thinking.
- Guide student note-taking and teach re-reading skills and strategies to help students answer Key Questions and meet Common Core State Stanards.