Argumentation Skill Packs Tips
Short Passages and Animations to Practice Argumentation Skills
Introduce students to the fundamentals of argument analysis with the Argumentation Skill Packs. Each Pack includes a lesson plan, an animation, and multiple resources for students to analyze and respond to arguments. The lesson plans follow the teach, practice, and apply instructional approach to support students as they identify and explain claims, reasons, evidence, point of view, and much more.
Why Use Argumentation Skill Packs
To understand an argument, students need to pinpoint its claim or point of view and the reasons given, and evaluate the evidence provided. Analyzing arguments is a key critical thinking skill as well as a means to comprehend much of the nonfiction text that students will encounter in school and daily life.
How to Use Argumentation Skill Packs
Each grade level includes multiple packs with resources for teacher-led discussion and modeling, practice analyzing arguments, writing responses to arguments, and independent practice in key component skills.
Follow the lesson plan to guide initial discussion and gradually allow more independence for students to analyze and respond to arguments on their own as well as engage in extension and writing activities.
RESOURCES WITHIN EACH ARGUMENTATION SKILL PACK
- A lesson plan that introduces key concepts
- An animation that brings those concepts to life for students and can be used to spark discussion and review key concepts later if needed
- Passages and other related activities that encourage students to analyze arguments, answer questions, and write their responses to arguments
The first lesson within each set of grade level packs introduces the concept of argument in general and claim or point of view. Subsequent lessons introduce elements that support the claim (for example, reasons and evidence). Follow the lessons in sequential order to build upon previously learned concepts and provide students with a foundational understanding of argumentation.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES TO SUPPORT EACH ARGUMENTATION SKILL PACK
- Use built-in interactive tools for highlighting, underlining, circling, framing, and more on each projectable passage.
- Use the practice passages for individual, paired, or small-group independent or guided practice.
- Use the Answer Key attached to the lesson plan to check for student understanding.