Packs and Passages for Teaching 21st Century Skills
Close Reading promotes careful analysis of text while building the 21st century skills of critical thinking, collaboration, and communication. With Close Reading Packs, students consider a Key Question as they read passages on a common topic, and then participate in small-group and whole-class discussions. With Close Read Passages, students are guided through repeated readings of a single passage using strategic discussion and questioning at four layers of depth, from surface level to a deeper understanding of the text.
Science InvestigationsHelp students dig deeper into science content with Investigation Packs from Science A-Z. Students practice close reading and work in groups to answer text-dependent questions.
Why Close Reading
Close reading requires students to analyze, evaluate, and think critically about a given text.
Close Read Passages help students practice close reading skills through multiple readings of the text. The accompanying Close Read Question Guides offer scaffolded questions to help you guide students in using close reading skills to find layers of meaning in a text. Some passages are also connected to Leveled Books at a similar reading level, enabling you to create cross-textual connections.
Close Reading Packs combine close reading skills with collaboration and communication skills to help students answer a text-dependent Key Question, giving you a powerful tool to meet rigorous 21st century standards.
How to Use Close Reading
Close Reading Packs
- Passages enable students to practice close reading on cross-curricular topics in individual and group work settings.
- Encourage students to apply their learning with the Connecting Passage.
Student Response Sheet
- Guide students to record evidence needed to answer the Key Question.
Use the Teaching Tips to help lead discussion and address important skills such as comprehension, author’s craft, and critical thinking.
Guide student note-taking and teach re-reading skills and strategies to help students answer Key Questions and meet Common Core State Standards.
Close Read Passages
- Encourage student practice using two- to four-page grade-appropriate passages engaging topics.
- Print, project, or assign passages digitally for whole-class, small-group, or individual instruction.
- Differentiate instruction using mulitlevel passages. The three levels are indicated by dots on the passage: one dot (•) for the lowest level; two dots (••) for the middle level; three dots (•••) for the highest level.
Close Read Questions & Question Guide
- Challenge students with scaffolded questions during each reading of the text. (You can project the Close Read Questions for the whole class or print out and cut up individual questions for discussion groups or independent responses.)
- The guide also includes optional questions, an answer key, details about the passage text, and information about cross-textual connections for passages connected to Leveled Books.