Learn about social studies and history with the World Leaders collection of Leveled Books from the Themed Nonfiction Series. These fascinating biographies explore the lives of some of the world’s most famous (or infamous) leaders. Timeline Posters, Comprehension Quizzes, and Activity Sheets provide additional opportunities to engage students and measure their understanding.
Why Use World Leaders
The World Leaders collection provides highly engaging biographies at a variety of reading levels to help students learn about these influential people. The books and ancillary resources will also help them meet ELA standards as well as various social studies and history standards.
At each grade range you will find support resources for the collection:
- Teaching Tips
- Activity Sheets
Each title is accompanied by book-specific support resources as well:
- A Focus Question to engage students in the reading process (on the title page)
- Connections activities that allow readers to explore beyond the book in subjects such as science, writing, art, and more (on the back cover)
- Comprehension Quiz
- A Timeline Poster that provides the major events in the leader’s life along with engaging photos
How to Use World Leaders
The variety of resources available in the series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Teaching Tips for classroom activities using Activity Sheets.
- Use the Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding.
- Provide a book at an appropriate level for independent reading or small group instruction.
- Review the Timeline Posters to get students excited to learn about each leader.
- Improve comprehension and take readers beyond the text by having them complete the Connections activities on the back cover of each book.
- Have students choose a topic to write about related to the collection's theme and use the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in the collection.