Learn about the United States government with this collection. These informative books explore the U.S. Constitution and the checks and balances that exist between the three branches of the federal government at three different reading levels. This series is accompanied by an engaging poster along with Comprehension Quizzes and Activity Sheets to aid student learning.
Why Use U.S. Government
These highly-informative texts explore the three branches of the federal government, the history and contents of the U.S. Constitution, and the federal departments that help run the country.
The texts are written at three different reading levels for differentiated instruction. The books and ancillary resources will help students meet ELA standards and various social studies standards.
At each grade range you will find support resources for the collection:
- Teaching Tips
- Activity Cards
- Checks and Balances Posters
Each title is accompanied by book-specific support resources as well:
- A Focus Question to engage students in the reading process (on the title page)
- Connections activities that allow readers to explore beyond the book in other subjects such as science, writing, and art (on the back cover)
- Comprehension Quiz
How to Use U.S. Government
The variety of resources available in the series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Teaching Tips for classroom activities.
- Use Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding.
- Teach students about the interdependencies between the three branches of government using the Checks and Balances Poster.
- Take readers beyond the text by having them complete the Connections activities on the back cover of each book.
- Have students choose a topic to write about related to the collection's theme and use the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in the collection.
- Provide a book at an appropriate level for independent reading or small group instruction.