Giants of the Animal World
Take a closer look at some of the largest animals on Earth! Learn about where they live, what they eat, how they care for their young, and much more. This book and resource collection is part of Reading A-Z's Themed Nonfiction Series. The Multilevel books make differentiating instruction easy, and the support resources and activities make learning fun.
Why Use Giants of the Animal World
Learning about animals and their habitats is important to students' understanding of the natural world and their role in it. The Giants of the Animal World collection introduces students to some of the largest creatures on Earth, many of which are vulnerable or endangered. Having the books at three different reading levels allows teachers to find the right books for their students and meet both state and national standards.
At each grade range you will find support resources for the collection:
- Teaching Tips
- Activity Cards
Each title is accompanied by book-specific support resources as well:
- Connections activities that allow readers to explore beyond the book in subjects such as science, writing, art, and more (on the back cover)
- Comprehension Quiz
- Fun Facts Poster
How to Use Giants of the Animal World
The variety of resources available in the series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Teaching Tips for classroom activities using Activity Cards.
- Use the Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding.
- Provide a book at an appropriate level for independent reading or guided reading instruction.
- Review the Fun Facts Poster to get kids excited to learn about the animals.
- Improve comprehension and take readers beyond the text by having them do the Connections activities on the back cover of each book.
- Have students choose a topic related to the collection's theme to write about and use the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in the collection.