Countries Around the World
Take a trip around the globe and explore the people, history, and landforms of several fascinating countries. This collection is part of Learning A-Zís Themed Nonfiction Series. Each country represented in the collection is offered at three different reading levels. Support resources for activities accompany each grade range and individual title.
Why Use Countries Around the World
Learning about and understanding the different cultures and experiences of people around the world is an important part of becoming a global citizen. The Countries Around the World collection provides students with introductions to a variety of different places, peoples, and cultures. Each book within the collection is written at three levels of difficulty, making differentiating instruction easier while meeting the requirements of state and national standards, including the Common Core State Standards.
At each grade range you will find support resources for the collection:
- Teaching Tips
- Activity Cards
- World Maps
Each title is accompanied by book-specific support resources as well:
- Text-dependent Discussion Questions (on the back cover)
- Comprehension Quiz
- Individual Country Map
How to Use Countries Around the World
The variety of resources available in the series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Teaching Tips for classroom activities using Activity Cards.
- Use the Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding.
- Provide a book at an appropriate level for independent reading or guided reading instruction.
- Review the individual Country Maps and World Maps to teach visual literacy skills.
- Improve comprehension and take readers beyond the text by having them answer the Discussion Questions on the back cover of each book.
- Have students choose a topic related to the collection's theme to write about and use the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in the collection.