With our online running record tool on Raz-Kids.com, you can:
- Listen to students' recordings of retellings of Benchmark Books or Passages.
- Score retellings using an online rubric.
- Track your students' progress over time.
Retelling RubricAfter a student reads a Benchmark Passage or Benchmark Book and you take a Running Record, have the student do an oral retelling of the story and use our Retelling Rubrics to assess how well she or he comprehends what is read.
Retelling Assessment FormsFiction Retelling Rubric
Nonfiction Retelling Rubric
Ask the student to tell you about the story in as much detail as she or he can remember.
If the student has difficulty retelling parts of the story or remembering certain details, use prompts such as "Tell me more about (character x)" or "What happened after...?".
Analyze the retelling for information the student gives about:
- Main idea and supporting detail
- Sequence of events
- Problem and solution
- Response to text-specific vocabulary and language